IN PICTURES: Lanao Del Sur TWG On Countering And Preventing Violent Extremism Launched
- Super User
- Hits: 69
The Province of Lanao del Sur launched on November 28, 2018 its Technical Working Group (TWG) on Countering and Preventing Violent Extremism (CTVE) in a ceremony held at Limketkai Luxe Hotel in Cagayan de Oro City. The project is facilitated by the Institute for Autonomy and Governance and supported by the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
Governor Bedjoria Soraya Alonto Adiong signed Executive Order No.13 Series of 2018 instituting the TWG that was created through a resolution approved by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (provincial council). The EO cites how Lanao del Sur has been a target of a series of organized violent extremism campaign by local extremist groups whose recent activities in Butig, Piagapo and Marawi City has resulted in massive displacement and disruptions to governance and economy. The EO underscores the need to enact plans, programs, and policies as necessary tools to be able to fight violent extremism and maintain peace and order in the province of Lanao del Sur. Under Section 2, the TWG has the following duties and functions:
1. Develop a work plan for the formulation of plans, programs and policies against violent extremism;
2. Conduct research on National and Local policies relative to Countering and Transforming Violent Extremism;
3. Conduct consultation, workshops, and other activities needed to achieve its goals;
4. Propose plans and programs to the Provincial Governor on countering and transforming violent extremism;
5. Draft policies that may be adapted by the Provincial Government to address the issues on violent extremism;
6. Propose a sustainable monitoring system that will strengthen the capacity of the traditional, religious, and government structures and agencies in addressing the threat of violent extremism.